Saving our planet one load at a time
With drought becoming a harsh reality in South Africa, water is an extremely valuable and scarce resource. South Africans have implemented various water-saving techniques, from using grey water to flush toilets, to taking two-minute showers and installing rain water harvesting tanks. One area of water usage that is particularly difficult to cut back on, is laundry. Regular washing machines can use up to 50 litres of valuable municipal drinking water per cycle. That said, refraining from washing our clothes is not an option! We at Green Planet Laundry has developed an innovative solution to the problem.
Unlike other Commercial Laundries, we at Green Planet Laundry do not tap into the city’s precious municipal water supply. Instead, we make use of purified borehole water. That means that absolutely no drinkable water is used!
How does it work?
Water is extracted from a borehole then purified using a custom built water purification system and passed through a sophisticated ozone generator. The process is simple, yet highly effective: Oxygen is dried and concentrated to 95% pure O₂. This O₂ is fed into plasma ozone cells, from which a strong ozone gas (O₃) is produced. The borehole water passes through this generator, and becomes infused with ozone. This ozone-infused water is then stored in a supply tank, from where it is pumped our efficient and technologically advanced washing machines. Ozone is dissolved into the wash basin throughout the entire wash cycle. Municipal water is saved, and our ecological footprint is much reduced.
How your clothing benefits from this process:
- O₃ oxidises soils and eliminates microbes in the linen, leaving your clothing clean, sanitised and soft.
- It acts as a biocide, controlling odours and killing viruses and bacteria. It has disinfectant capabilities up to 150% more powerful than chlorine.
- Linen life is increased by up to 50%. Fabrics feel softer, and are noticeable whiter.
How the environment benefits from this process:
- Green Planet Laundry uses absolutely no municipal drinking water in the washing process. Only undrinkable borehole water is used, alleviating pressure on our water supply.
- The grey water is recycled through the filtration plant, approximately 50% is reused.
- Due to the Ozone infusion process, less detergent is required to clean and disinfect clothing and less water is required for the wash and rinse cycles.
- The entire water purification system including the borehole will be powered by solar energy making their complete water purification system environmentally neutral.
Cape Town residents can now experience the convenience of sending their laundry to be cleaned without the guilt of wasting natural resources. With water restrictions in the Western Cape are becoming a permanent fixture, this is a perfect opportunity through which residents can decrease the number of litres consumed by their household.
Green Planet Laundry’s services are convenient and time-saving, making it the perfect solution for Hotels, Restaurants, Salons etc. as well as working mothers, students or anyone who wishes there were more hours in a day. We at Green Planet Laundry offer a same-day door-to-door collection and delivery service (conditions apply), meaning you’ll receive your clean laundry on the same day it was sent in, without even having to leave your home or office.
Green Planet Laundry services all the greater Caper Town areas from Strand to Paarl to Duynefontein to Cape Point!